Getting started as an Environmental Health Specialist Trainee in 5 easy steps:
1. Complete Bachelor’s degree with at least 30 semester or 45 quarter units of basic science including:
General chemistry lecture/lab
General microbiology lecture/lab
General biological sciences lecture/lab
Calculus or college algebra
General physics lecture/lab or organic chemistry lecture/lab
2. Contact the local environmental health agency for a ride along to become familiar with the day-to-day responsibilities of a Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) (optional).
3. Contact California Department of Public Health (CDPH), REHS Program for application package:
|California Department of Public Health
EHS Registration Program
P.O. Box 997377
Sacramento, CA 95899-7377
Additional information available at www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CEH/
4. The registration process requires a review of university transcripts either by CPS Human Resource Services (domestic) or a Credential Evaluation Service (foreign). This application should be filed concurrently with the application to CDPH. Detailed instructions are included in the CDPH-REHS application package.
This process takes approximately 4 weeks after all required documents are received. Once the review is complete CPS will notify the applicant and CDPH-REHS detailing the applicant’s qualification and identifying any additional course requirements.
A listing of foreign Credential Evaluation Services is available at http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/occupations/Documents/REHS/CESlistREVISEDparagraph.pdf
5. Apply with local Environmental Health Agencies within California. Visit here for a listing of Jobs available.