Getting started as an Environmental Health Specialist Trainee in 5 easy steps:

        1.  Complete Bachelor’s degree with at least 30 semester or 45 quarter units of basic science including:

  • General chemistry lecture/lab

  • General microbiology lecture/lab

  • General biological sciences lecture/lab

  • Calculus or college algebra

  • General physics lecture/lab or organic chemistry lecture/lab

Visit for a comprehensive listing of education requirements.

        2.  Contact the local environmental health agency for a ride along to become familiar with the day-to-day responsibilities of a Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) (optional).

        3.  Contact California Department of Public Health (CDPH), REHS Program for application package:

California Department of Public Health
EHS Registration Program
MS 7404

P.O. Box
Sacramento, CA 95899-7377
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Message phone:  916-449-5662
Fax:                        916-449-5665
Clerical desk:   916-449-5662

Additional information available at

        4.  The registration process requires a review of university transcripts either by CPS Human Resource Services (domestic) or a Credential Evaluation Service (foreign).  This application should be filed concurrently with the application to CDPH.  Detailed instructions are included in the CDPH-REHS application package.

        5.  Apply with local Environmental Health Agencies within California.  Visit here for a listing of Jobs available.