Berkeley Lab’s Environment, Health, & Safety Division (EHS) has an opening for a Waste Management Professional to join their Environment, Waste, and Radiation Protection (EWRP) Department!
In this dynamic role, you will work across the Laboratory scientific and operations organizations using your knowledge of chemistry to resolve issues related to hazardous, radioactive, mixed, universal and medical wastes as well as other Lab waste streams. You will assist with conducting work area and facility audits, provide technical advice to waste generators to ensure safe and compliant waste generation, and provide technical program support and development. This demanding integral position will require you to apply knowledge of standard chemistry and waste management techniques, practices and concepts toward providing technical field support as well as to the continuous improvement and maintenance of waste management technical programs.
What You Will Do:
- Provide guidance, direction and recommendations to research and operations personnel regarding effective and compliant implementation of waste management policies, procedures, permits and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with Laboratory personnel, anticipating their needs and supporting planning and implementing their objectives by furnishing waste management input.
- Improve and maintain technical program documentation in subject areas assigned ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and standards.
- Compile and submit regulatory reports, requests for information and other regulatory information as assigned.
- Serve as the point of contact with regulatory agencies for assigned technical programs.
- Review federal, state and local laws, pertaining to waste management, to identify changes regarding statutes and rulings.
- Review and update assigned procedures, policies and other documentation to ensure waste management programs reflect current, regulations, relevant guidance documents, and safe work practices.
- Assist with oversight, certification of waste shipments and approve waste manifests in assigned areas.
- Provide technical assurance of output from other EWRP staff performing waste characterization, classification and certification activities.
- Oversee and/or ensure the management and maintenance of all applicable waste management files and records necessary to satisfy regulatory requirements, policies, and procedures.
What is Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or a closely related field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Hands-on experience working with hazardous chemicals.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local regulatory requirements for the management of hazardous waste and transportation of hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of standard chemistry theories, techniques, concepts and practices as applied to waste or environmental management.
- Experience in providing technical advice, guidance, or leadership on small projects.
- Experience in reviewing applicable laws, regulations and standards for a technical field.
- Demonstrated computer literacy with the ability to provide analysis and interpretation of data as well as develop solutions to moderately complex problems.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to successfully deliver customer service based technical support with the ability to establish and maintain cooperative and collaborative working relationships with a variety of personnel at all levels of an organization.
- Must be able to meet and maintain qualifications for access to the LBNL Hazardous Waste Handling Facility.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position including: routinely lift and transport 40 lbs.; frequently bend and stoop; stand and walk for 4-6 hours per day. Some duties of this position require up to 4 hours per day of the following types of hand use: fine manipulation, keyboard/mouse use, simple and/or power grasping.
What We Desire:
- Desire to pursue relevant professional and/or technical certification.
- Knowledge of waste management practices, regulations and requirements.
- Knowledge of environment, safety and health principles and theories.
- Desire to learn new technical skills and develop new professional capabilities.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), Career appointment.
- Salary Range: $85,000 - $115,000 annually depending on experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will primarily be performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
- This position will be required to work across LBNL site, inside and outside buildings and at off-site locations including in the field. Access to construction and demolition sites is required. Exposure to hazardous materials and hazardous energy sources is likely. Access to permitted hazardous waste storage facilities is required. Exposure to sources of ionizing radiation and radioactive materials is likely. Security vetting for access to nuclear materials may be required.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."