The City of Pittsburg seeks a full-time registered Environmental Health Specialist for the Environmental Services Department.
Salary: $74,916.00 - $91,056.00 Annually
Location: Pittsburg, CA
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Department: Environmental Affairs
Job Number: 248
The Environmental Health Specialist performs difficult and complex environmental investigations, surveys, reviews and studies in connection with solid, liquid, and hazardous materials management in a local enforcement agency. This position monitors compliance with state and local laws and regulation for the purpose of prevention of public health and environmental health hazards; may exercise technical and functional supervision over professional, technical and office support staff.
The Environmental Services Department is responsible for various environmental residential, business, and school programs. This includes programs such as Solid Waste and Recycling, Hazardous Waste Management, Local Enforcement Agency (LEA) division, Storm Water Program, Climate Change, Energy Efficiency, Watershed Education, and Green Business. The Division also provides resources, tips, and events to promote lifestyle changes that will bring about a happier, healthier, more beautiful Pittsburg.
An ideal candidate for Environmental Health Specialist possesses the following:
- Solid waste management knowledge
- Environmental compliance knowledge
- Current REHS certification that is current and in good standing
- High level of ethical behavior
- Ability to interpret and apply state and local laws, rules, regulations, and codes that are related to environmental health
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to explain topics orally and in writing to people with various levels of understanding
- Principles of supervision
- Professional with outstanding judgment and management skills
- Interest in science and community health
Education/Experience/Training: Qualified applicants must possess a Bachelor's degree in environmental science or a combination of experience and training which meets the requirements for a certificate of registration as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) in the State of California.
Registration: Must also possess a valid Certificate of Registration as an Environmental Health Specialist issued by the State of California Department of Health Services.
License: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver's license and proof of auto liability insurance is required.
- Application process: Applicants must complete an online employment application which includes a supplemental questionnaire at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pittsburg. Employment applications will be disqualified if a resume is submitted in lieu of completing the application or if sections of the applications are left blank that relate to the minimum qualifications of the job such as education and work history. Applications will be evaluated to determine if it meets the minimum qualifications of the job. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase in the process. All communication regarding your application status will be sent via email only.
- Testing process (Weighted 100%): Those appearing to have the best combination of training and experience will be invited to continue in the recruitment process. Testing assessment process will consist of a structured oral board panel interview with subject matter experts. The City reserves the right to utilize alternate testing methods if deemed necessary.
- Eligibility List: Candidates who successfully complete all testing components with a passing rating will be placed on an eligibility list (hiring list). The hiring department may contact candidates on the list for a hiring interview to fill the vacancy.
*The recruitment opening period is Open Until Filled.*
CITY OF PITTSBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER