Monterey County Health Department
Salinas, CA 93906
Recycling/Resource Recovery Specialist
$5,287 – $7,222 per Month
Final Filing Date: August 31, 2018
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Environmental Health Bureau’s Recycling and Resource Recovery Services Unit is seeking two (2) full time Recycling and Resource Recovery Specialists to coordinate recycling events, provide information and resources, and assist with meeting program goals and grant funding requirements. The Recycling and Resource Recovery Specialist will ensure that simple, convenient solutions to divert waste at home are available to residents and businesses in the unincorporated areas of Monterey County by developing and implementing programs based on proven strategies. The Recycling and Resource Recovery Services unit is responsible for protecting public health and safety and reducing the amount of solid waste to the local landfills, while ensuring compliance with the diversion goals set by the State.
A list of eligible candidates resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time or temporary vacancies as they arise.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Federal, State, and local laws, codes, regulations and programs affecting solid waste management and operations.
• Current trends in resources recovery planning and their relationship to federal, regional, state and local planning.
• Principles, methods and materials used in public health education, promotion, and participation pertaining to recycling and solid waste management.
• Principles and practices of program development, management, and evaluation.
• Principles and practices of effective public/community and customer relations; effective written and oral expression.
• Effective methods of program documentation, and record keeping.
Skill and abilities to:
• Establish and maintain a reference library for waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery materials and develop and implement marketing strategies designed to encourage the general public and business participation in waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery programs.
• Monitor, gather data, analyze and evaluate various affecting waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery efforts.
• Develop waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery goals, strategies and targeted programs; and develop systems to monitor and evaluate their effectiveness.
• Maintain a tracking system for monitoring grant funded waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery activities.
• Research and write technical reports, correspondence and other program documents related to waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery.
• Coordinate and promote the development, implementation and update of individual city and integrated, county-wide solid waste reduction, recycling and resource recovery programs and provide technical expertise to the cities and the County in areas of waste recycling, source reduction and resource recovery.
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
• Self-motivated and proactive
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to prepare written reports and records in a clear, concise manner.
• Independent worker
• Creative thinker
• Outstanding analytical skills, with demonstrated ability to think logically and arrive at sound conclusions.
• Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and complete multiple time sensitive tasks.
EXAMPLES OF EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/TRAINING:
Any combination of training, education and/or experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities and required conditions of employment listed above is qualifying. An example of a way these requirements might be acquired is:
Education: Completion of course work leading to a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences or a closely related field.
Experience: Two (2) years of relevant experience developing and promoting p ublic or private recycling, waste reduction or other comparable solid management waste programs.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will be required to:
• Possess and maintain a valid California Driver's license or the ability to provide alternative transportation that is approved by the appointing authority.
• Be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and during times of disaster or emergency.
• Successfully pass a thorough background and reference checks process which include a Department of Justice fingerprint check. The Applicant will be required to execute a consent and waiver for the background investigation.
• Bilingual skills in English/Spanish
For a complete job description please visit
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
TO APPLY: Submit the following to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division,
1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906 by the final filing date: August 31, 2018:
• Monterey County Employment Application form
• Responses to the Supplemental Questions
Or apply on-line at www.co.monterey.ca.us/personnel
All application materials must be received by the final filing date for a guaranteed review. Applications received after this date will be considered on a needed basis until the position is filled. Please be aware if the application form, responses to supplemental questions, and resume is not submitted by the final filing date, the application will be removed from further consideration and not be considered further. The selection process is tentative and applicants will be notified if changes are made.
Resumes may be submitted, but will not be accepted in lieu of required application materials.
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant’s possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
• If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4519.
• Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
• If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County offers an excellent benefits package (H Bargaining Unit)
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or "H" MOU prevails over this listing.