Pay Range: $81,785.60 - $108,451.20 Annually
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Job Number: J003-06
The County of San Mateo Environmental Health Services Division is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Hazardous Materials Specialist II/III – Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art-Limited Term.
The current vacancy is limited term for up to 3 years; in the Division located in San Mateo, but will travel/drive throughout the County to perform duties of the job.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Use Environmental Health database.
- Perform routine and complaint-based inspections at Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art facilities.
- Review and enforce existing and new laws and regulations related to or in Health and Safety Code, Public Resources Code, and County ordinances in the areas of Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Familiarity with applicable California Health and Safety and Public Resources Code laws and regulations and San Mateo County ordinances related to solid waste, medical waste, and body art is preferred, but not required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Envision Connect/Envision Connect Remote.
- Experience in performing regulatory health-based inspections.
- Ability to explain complex technical issues in a manner easily understood by all.
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and follow through to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team.
Level II: $39.32 - $49.14/Hourly
Level III: $41.73 - $52.14/Hourly
This is a limited term, at-will position. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.
Information for current county employees: Current and regular County of San Mateo employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete in the selection process. If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
III level: Two years of journey level experience in hazardous materials management.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- Describe your experience providing regulatory oversight within any health-based related field.
- Describe your familiarity with solid waste, medical waste, and body art laws and regulations.
- Describe your experience in interpreting laws and regulations and applying it in a regulatory setting. Give a specific example of when you did that including any resistance to your interpretation you encountered, how you responded, the final outcome, and what you learned from that experience.
- Describe your experience working in a team environment where independent work is also a significant component.
Please include the words "Hazardous Materials Specialist II/III–Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Body Art–Limited Term Position" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.