Salary: $8,507 - $10,632 /Month
FINAL DATE FOR FILING: July 19, 2017
The Environmental Health Services Division of the County of San Mateo Health System is seeking a well-qualified Environmental Health Program Supervisor. Under direction, the incumbent will supervise, direct, organize, manage, evaluate, audit, and provide accountability for one or more Environmental Health programs in the consumer protection area (e.g., food, water, housing, vector control, land use, pools, solid waste, medical waste, and cross connections).
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic for and dedicated to public service. More specifically, the ideal candidate is:
- Approachable and politically astute with a supervisory style that quickly fosters trust, loyalty, respect and commitment from employees.
- An experienced Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) with a thorough understanding of the full range of issues, practices and regulations related to consumer protection, including regulatory oversight and leadership in Food, Pool, Housing, or related regulatory programs.
- An innovative leader who has collaborated with other agencies with positive outcomes that benefited public health and public education.
- Technologically savvy and knowledgeable of electronic field inspection systems and other computer-based technologies utilized by regulatory agencies, specifically knowledge of Accela's Envision Connect software is strongly desired.
- Highly focused and organized, capable of establishing and implementing program budgets and operational efficiencies.
- An excellent problem-solver with superior oral and written communication skills.
- A productive team member, willing and able to coordinate closely with other program supervisors to ensure standard and efficient implementation of programs.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Licensure/Certification: Possession of a California certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist within two years from date of hire.
Experience and Education: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is four years increasingly responsible experience as an Environmental Health Specialist or Hazardous Materials Specialist, which includes two years' experience in a regulatory agency.
Knowledge of: The environmental health provisions of the California Health and Safety Code, and the rules and regulations of the State Department of Public Health pertaining to environmental health standards and local ordinances; public health/environmental health inspection and investigation principles, practices, and administrative procedures; and the principles and techniques of program management.
Skill/Ability to: Plan, organize and supervise the work of others; manage programs in a team environment; train others in the principles and techniques of enforcement work; define difficult problem areas, analyze complex data and make valid recommendations; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others; speak effectively and make public presentations; and prepare clear, concise reports and correspondence.
Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Filing Date: JULY 19, 2017, 11:59 PM
Application Screening: JULY 20, 2017
Civil Service Panel/Departmental Interviews: AUGUST 1 and/or 2, 2017
The County of San Mateo does not require job applicants to disclose conviction history information until after the applicant successfully completes all examination phases for the recruitment. All passing applicants will receive instructions by email only from Human Resources staff to complete and submit a conviction history questionnaire online within a specified deadline of two business days. Failure to do so within the timeframe will disqualify you from the rest of the process. Please visit this link at http://hr.smcgov.org/conviction-information-applicants-faqs to find out more information about the conviction history questionnaire so that you can prepare accordingly.
Note: Positions in criminal justice agencies currently required by law to pass background checks are exempted from this bill, and applicants may be required to submit conviction information at the time of application.
County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
HR Contact Analyst: Yvonne Alvidrez (062917) (Environmental Health Program Supervisor - Exempt - J007)
Job Number: J007-06
Environmental Health Program Supervisor (Open & Promotional) Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. IMPORTANT: Applicants for this position are required to submit responses to the supplemental questions below. Your responses will provide detailed information about your background and experience related to this position. This information will weigh heavily in the application screening by the subject matter experts and will also be used in the selection process. Answer the questions completely, paying attention to the multi-parts of the questions. While being thorough and detailed, also be concise. Your strategic use of language as well as neatness, clarity of expression, attention to detail, proper use of grammar and the ability to follow instructions will be considered in the evaluation process. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for your responses.
___ I have read and understand this important information.*
* 2. This position requires possession of a California certificate as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist within two years from date of hire. Please indicate which is applicable.
___ I possess a California certificate as a REHS
___ I will acquire a California certificate as a REHS within two years from date of hire
* 3. Describe the education and experience that have prepared you for this supervisory position. Include examples of relevant programs you have developed, implemented and/or managed.
* 4. Describe your experience supervising or providing direction to inspectors and field staff. Be specific about the number of staff you supervised, their positions and responsibilities, and the personnel-related challenges you successfully addressed in this role.
* 5. Discuss your leadership philosophy. Provide at least one specific example of how your approach has provided for continuous growth among those you have managed/supervised.
* Required Question
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer