Salary: $113,162.40 - $137,556.64 Annually
Location: San Jose Metropolitan Area, CA
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Department of Environmental Health
Job Number: 18-V11-A
Closing: 05/30/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Under general direction, to plan, organize, direct, and administer specialized Environmental Health Program activities on a county wide basis.
- Plans, organizes and directs the administration of various environmental health programs within the Environmental Health Division in order to meet established objectives;
- Determines program objectives and participates with the Division Director in establishing program goals and priorities;
- Studies statutory requirements and modifies program components to ensure that they meet standards and legislative mandates established by Federal, State and local regulations;
- Analyzes the impact of legislative changes in area of specialty;
- Serves as the County's consultant in the area of specialty by attending and participating in task forces, commissions, committees;
- Maintains liaison with Federal, State, and local offices;
- Supervises and evaluates Environmental Health personnel, establishing standards of performance and providing technical guidance and training;
- Interprets applicable regulations and proposes methods for compliance;
- Determines program funding needs and strategies for obtaining funding either within the budget process or by obtaining outside funding;
- Writes grant proposals and prepares contracts; implements, monitors and evaluates compliance with terms of contracts;
- Conducts special studies, investigations and inspections in assigned program area;
- Prepares reports and correspondences;
- Performs related work as required.
Possession of a Bachelor's Degree with coursework pursuant to California's Health and Safety Code requirements for the Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) certification.
At least four (4) years of recent work experience equivalent to or greater than an Environmental Health Specialist in Santa Clara County; plus at least one (1) year of recent work experience equivalent to the Supervising Environmental Health Specialist in Santa Clara County. A Master' Degree in a related field may be substituted for one (1) year of non-supervisory related work experience.
Possession of a valid Registered Environmental Health Specialist certification issued by the State of California pursuant to the California Health and Safety Code.
Possession of a valid California driver's license upon appointment.
- Environmental health provisions of the California Health and Safety Code and California Code of Regulations, California State Public Resources Codes, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA processes), and provisions of the California Penal Code relating to public nuisances;
- The principles and practices of environmental health and safety and sanitary sciences;
- The techniques used in conducting environmental and epidemiological investigations;
- Management and supervision of personnel and budgetary resources;
- Principles of effective public relations;
- Methods, techniques and practices used in the determination and elimination of health hazards;
- Legislative processes as related to environmental health issues;
- Methodologies and techniques for conducting scientific evaluations;
- The methods and procedures used in inspecting and correcting unsanitary conditions;
- Common office software including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate environmental health programs;
- Manage and supervise personnel and budgetary resources;
- Deal tactfully and effectively with members of policy boards, commissions, elected and appointed public officials and the general public;
- Understand, interpret and apply provisions of Federal, State, and local legislation, rules, and regulations pertaining to the administration of environmental programs and policies;
- Gather and present data effectively;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Operate computer systems and data bases.
Agency: County of Santa Clara
Address: 70 W. Hedding Street, 8th Floor, East Wing , San Jose, California, 95110
Phone: (408) 299-5830