Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Orange County, CA
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Department: Health Care Agency
Job Number: 8013MA-0619-042 (O)
DIRECTOR OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
(Administrative Manager III)
This recruitment will be open on a continuous basis until the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is open to the public and will be used to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future vacancies. This recruitment may also be used to fill similar and/or lower classifications throughout the Agency.
HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five service areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Regulatory and Medical Services and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH DIVISION
The Environmental Health Division is comprised of various programs aimed toward protecting the health and safety of Orange County residents and visitors from harmful conditions in the environment. Staff enforce laws and regulations and emphasize education to assist businesses and communities with providing healthy and safe communities. Environmental Health programs include Food and Pool Safety, Hazardous Materials Surveillance and Mitigation, Solid Waste, Medical Waste, Body Art, Water Quality and Ocean Water Protection.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Deputy Agency Director (DAD) for Regulatory & Medical Health Services, the Director of Environmental Health will manage a $26 million budget and a staff of 188, dedicated to improving the quality of life for Orange County residents and visitors through the promotion of good environmental health practices and exceptional customer service. The position requires a high-energy person with strong leadership skills and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
The Director of Environmental Health will be expected to:
- Serve as a member of the Regulatory & Medical Health Services Leadership Team and lead the Environmental Health management team
- Assist the COO & DAD in formulating and recommending broad public health policies and goals consistent with the Agency's mission
- Collaborate with the County Health Officer
- Make administrative and operational decisions and coordinate activities involving human resources and program support issues, such as: recruitment, employee relations, performance evaluation and incentive standards to ensure performance accountability, financial and budget planning, legislative analysis, information technology systems, operational policies and procedures and facilities
- Prioritize program needs to ensure the delivery of appropriate, quality environmental health services
- Represent the County before State and local government organizations and committees
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will be a high-level environmental health manager, who possesses experience directing operations and managing programs related to Food Protection, Hazardous Material/Solid Waste management and/or Ocean/Recreation Water Quality management. The ideal candidate must also have prior experience directing or working with complex administrative organizations, public health, health care providers or other related organizations or agencies. A Master of Public Health degree is highly desirable.
In addition to the above, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge and/or experience in the following:
Environmental Health Knowledge | Regulatory Health Experience
- Understanding of public health programs and requirements as well as possessing a public safety background
- Maintaining knowledge of existing and proposed legislation and evaluating potential impact to programs as well as working collaboratively with other government entities and officials which may include the County Executive Offices, Board of Supervisors, County Counsel, , along with business partners and public stakeholders
- Understanding of information technology process and database systems used for measuring productivity and providing the public with consumer information
- Properly assessing public health situations and provide the appropriate response
Leadership | Supervisory Skills
- Leading a high performance, results oriented team to implement organizational goals while balancing competing needs and objectives
- Supervising various levels of managerial, clinical and support staff as well as partnering with Human Resource Services on recruiting, employee relations and other personnel issues
- Ability to articulate a vision for future program goals
Strategic Planning | Results Oriented
- Experience setting strategic goals, determining actions to achieve goals and utilizing resources to execute actions
- Focusing on outcomes and accomplishments, with consideration given to stakeholders, partners and the community
Oral & Written Communication | Communication Skills
- Developing and implementing written material, policies and procedures for Environmental Health staff
- Presenting written and verbal correspondence, reports and materials in a clear, organized and comprehensible terms ranging from general notes to concepts
- Being effective and persuasive in communicating information and using appropriate language that is suitable to audience and situations
Relationship Building | Interpersonal Skills
- Utilizing working relationships to facilitate meeting Agency, community and other stakeholder needs
- Formulating team roles and actively recruiting and selecting committed individuals conducive in building effective workgroups
- Developing and communicating clear team goals and roles, and providing a level of guidance and management appropriate to the circumstances
Possession of a valid certificate of registration as an Environmental Health Specialist issued by the State of California
Please click here to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Administrative Manager III position.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Click here to learn more about the Physical & Mental Requirements as well as the Environmental Conditions for the Administrative Manager III classification.
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.
Structured Oral interview (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by a panel of subject matter experts (SMEs). Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All applicants will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Once the assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Applicants will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
Visit the Orange County, CA Jobs Website to View Full Job Description & To Apply Online