Pay Range: $81,785.60 - $108,451.20 Annually
Filing Deadline: Continuous
The County of San Mateo Environmental Health Services Division is seeking an experienced individual for the position of Hazardous Materials Specialist II/III-Household Hazardous Waste-Limited Term.
The current vacancy is limited term for up to 3 years; in the Division located in San Mateo, but will travel/drive throughout the County to perform duties of the job.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with and monitor progress of vendors and contractors under existing contracts.
- Assist with ongoing permitting and compliance related tasks and hazardous materials and waste management.
- Implementation of technological efficiencies within the existing collection and reuse programs.
- Research and evaluate options for product and waste management of potential new waste streams such as radioactive, explosive, treated wood, asbestos, solar panels, and/or compressed gases.
- Represent the program in related education and outreach campaigns.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience in project management in the household hazardous, hazardous, or solid waste fields.
- Familiarity with applicable California Health and Safety Code laws and regulations is preferred.
- Experience in vendor and contract management.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate material and waste management options.
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and follow through to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Level II: $39.32 - $49.14/Hourly
Level III: $41.73 - $52.14/Hourly
This is a limited term, at-will position. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.
Information for current county employees: Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete in the selection process. If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
III level: Two years of journey level experience in hazardous materials management.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- Describe the process you went, or would go, through to evaluate and determine the best practice for disposal of a new waste stream to your agency, company or industry in general.
- List and describe your familiarity with several new products (within the last several years) introduced to the waste stream with hazardous characteristics. Also include your understanding of the current best management practices for disposal of these products.
- Describe your experience in development of an outreach campaign for a new idea, process or general information to the public or targeted audience.
- Describe your experience in vendor and contract management.
- Describe your experience in reviewing and reporting out on your evaluation of a new or proposed regulation or law.
Please include the words "Hazardous Materials Specialist II/III-Household Hazardous Waste–Limited Term Position" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.