$5,393 - $7,604/Monthly*
Expand your environmental health specialist career with the County of Sonoma!
Starting salary up to $43.72/hour ($91,248/year), a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
If you are interested in applying at the I, II, and/or Senior levels of these opportunities, you must apply to the separate recruitment being conducted for each level.
Sonoma County contains numerous soil types and is at the forefront of innovative and experimental septic systems. As a Land Use Health Specialist, you will provide a unique level of expertise in the evaluation and permitting of systems. Currently, approximately 4,000 permitted non-standard systems, of over 14 varied types, are monitored across the County. Working with the public to encourage sound sanitary practices and to permit private sewage systems, land development, and water wells, you will provide information, consultation, and educational services regarding soils and groundwater concerns. Land Use Health Specialist also conduct plan checks and inspections of assigned geographic areas.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Registration as an Environmental Health Specialist (REHS), as required by California Health and Safety Code Sections 106600-106735
- Land-use development experience, particularly with wells and/or septic systems
- A high level of professionalism, and excellent customer service skills
- Good judgment, and the ability to make sound decisions, particularly in compliance situations
- The ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- A desire to work in a fast-paced work environment, and the ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively
The State of California, Department of Public Health oversees the REHS process for this position. For additional information about CA state requirements, please visit https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CEH/DRSEM/Pages/EMB/REHS/REHS.aspx
What We Offer
The County of Sonoma offers career development, a challenging and rewarding work environment, the satisfaction of knowing that you're working to better the community, and a competitive total compensation, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $850 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid premium contribution to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
- At the I level, with time and good performance, the opportunity for advancement to Land Use Health Specialist II ($7,129/month)
*Salary is negotiable and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more information & to apply online, visit www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. EOE Apply by 6/24/19